Alabama DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Alabama Title Support

How To Sign An Alabama Title

For any questions about how to sign a title for your specific donated vehicle, please contact the purchasing vendor which is usually the auto auction yard. Please note, the purchaser of your donated vehicle is not the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.

1. Write the transfer date of the title in the format: month/day/year. This should go in the section labeled "Assignment Of Title By Registered Owner" located on back of title.

2. On back of title with the buyer's information, fill in the full legal name of the new owner. It can be a business or an individual, but ensure it is filled in correctly. Print the current address of the buyer.

3. Accurately note the mileage from the vehicle’s odometer. You may round off the number, leaving off the tenth of the mile. You should check boxes 1 or 2 on the form only if the vehicle’s mileage has exceeded the mechanical limitations of the car, or if the odometer reading is inaccurate.

4. The buyer should sign the document, and include their printed legal name under their signature.

5. The seller should sign on the designated line next to the buyer, and again print their name underneath the signature.

6. If there is a lien holder, note their name and address. If there is not a lien holder, simply write “None” on the provided line.

Helpful Tips

  • Only use blue or black ink when filling out your Alabama vehicle title. This is a state requirement.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Alabama nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance?

A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity?

A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification?

A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process?

A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release or general DMV questions, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division.

For additional support, please email us and include your Stock # and contact information.
Title Support