Delaware DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Delaware Title Support

How To Sign A Delaware Title

For any questions about how to sign a title for your specific donated vehicle, please contact the purchasing vendor which is usually the auto auction yard. Please note, the purchaser of your donated vehicle is not the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.

1. The front of the title in the top left section should contain all pertinent vehicle information. There is a box to record each item, including vehicle make, model, body style, etc.

2. The blue box to the right of the vehicle information is meant to fill in the odometer reading. Print the accurate odometer reading for the vehicle’s mileage.

3. On front of title on the bottom right, there is space to record lienholder information, if applicable. If there are any lienholders on the sale, their names and signatures should be placed here.

4. On the back of the title, the buyer should fill in their information under "Assignment of Certification of Title." If there are multiple buyers to be listed on the title, both must fill out their information.

5. Also on the back of the title, the seller’s information must be recorded. Just like with the buyer, if there are multiple sellers they must be listed together.

Helpful Tips

  • Delaware does not require an odometer reading disclosure for a vehicle made in 2010 or earlier. However, many private sellers do include the mileage as a courtesy, but it is not legally required to do so.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Delaware nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance?

A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity?

A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification?

A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process?

A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release or general DMV questions, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division.

For additional support, please email us and include your Stock # and contact information.
Title Support