Iowa DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Iowa Title Support

How To Sign An Iowa Title

For any questions about how to sign a title for your specific donated vehicle, please contact the purchasing vendor which is usually the auto auction yard. Please note, the purchaser of your donated vehicle is not the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.

1. If there are any Security Interests involved with the sale or transfer, their names and information must be recorded on the front of the title. Iowa provides three spaces for this.

2. On the back of the title, there is a section labeled “Assignment of Title,” which is where the pertinent vehicle information is recorded. The odometer reading must be noted here, and there are checkboxes to be used in the event of an inaccurate reading or one which exceeds the vehicle’s mechanical limitations.

3. Iowa includes a statement about the vehicle’s accident history, and whether or not the car has incurred damage which cost 50% or more of the vehicle’s value to repair. Check this box if applicable.

4. Record the sale date.

5. Both the buyer and seller must print and sign the back of the title under "ssignment of Title."

Helpful Tips

  • Iowa does not use the traditional term “Lienholder” but rather “Security Interest,” though these terms are effectively the same.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Iowa nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance?

A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity?

A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification?

A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process?

A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release or general DMV questions, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division.

For additional support, please email us and include your Stock # and contact information.
Title Support