Kansas DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Kansas Title Support

How To Sign A Kansas Title

For any questions about how to sign a title for your specific donated vehicle, please contact the purchasing vendor which is usually the auto auction yard. Please note, the purchaser of your donated vehicle is not the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.

1. Unlike many state titles, Kansas does not have information that needs to be filled in on the front side of the document in most cases. Flip to the back side and locate the box labeled “Assignment of Title.”

2. In the top portion of the box, have the Purchaser (or Buyer, in this case) fill out their information, including name, address, and signature.

3. Above the seller’s information, record the odometer reading indicating the vehicle mileage. Seller then needs to sign and print name.

4. Print the vehicle’s date of sale in month, day, and year format.

5. If there is a lien on the sale, fill out the section for Lienholders under the seller section of "Assignment of Title." If not, leave this section blank.

Helpful Tips

  • Kansas provides two spaces for vehicle assignment by an authorized dealer. If this is a private sale or transfer, then leave these sections blank.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Kansas nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance?

A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity?

A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification?

A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process?

A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at donorsupport@careasy.org or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release or general DMV questions, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division.

For additional support, please email us and include your Stock # and contact information.
Title Support