Michigan DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Michigan Title Support

How To Sign A Michigan Title

For any questions about how to sign a title for your specific donated vehicle, please contact the purchasing vendor which is usually the auto auction yard. Please note, the purchaser of your donated vehicle is not the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.

1. At the top of the title, there is a section where the vehicle's information, including make, model, year, and VIN are printed. The odometer reading is also recorded in this section, along with the owner’s name and address.

2. On front of title, under “Title Assignment by Seller” the purchaser should fill in their name, address, city of residence, and zip code. Then, the vehicle’s sale price and sale date must be recorded.

3. Below the purchaser information and sale date, the seller must also provide their name, address and signature. Both parties must fill out this section completely and accurately for the title to be valid.

4. Between the buyer and seller information, there is a section to record and certify the odometer reading. This must be recorded before the purchaser officially signs the document.

5. In the section marked “Completed by Buyer,” the purchaser (buyer) should fill in their name and sign the document.

6. Also in the "Completed by Buyer" section, there is space for lienholders to sign. If there is no lien holder on the sale, simply leave this section blank.

Helpful Tips

  • Depending on the status of lienholders on the sale, Michigan may require a separate lien release letter to be filled out. Your local DMV should be able to advise on this, as well as the bank or lien on the sale

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Michigan nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance?

A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity?

A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification?

A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process?

A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at donorsupport@careasy.org or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release or general DMV questions, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division.

For additional support, please email us and include your Stock # and contact information.
Title Support