Minnesota DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Minnesota Title Support

How To Sign A Minnesota Title

For any questions about how to sign a title for your specific donated vehicle, please contact the purchasing vendor which is usually the auto auction yard. Please note, the purchaser of your donated vehicle is not the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.

1. On front of title at the top, vehicle information such as VIN, year, make and model of the vehicle are printed. The owner information, including name, address and date of birth are also printed

2. On front of title, in the section labeled “Assignment by Seller (Transferor),” the odometer reading must be recorded. There are also checkboxes to indicate if the odometer reading is, or may be, inaccurate. This section also includes a damage disclosure statement. Ensure the appropriate checkboxes are marked in this section, as failure to do so can result in legal issues later on.

3. On front of title, the seller and buyer must both print their name, the date, and provide their signature. Addresses are also required.

4. If there are multiple buyers or sellers, their names and signatures must all be recorded, even though there is only one line for each.

Helpful Tips

  • Minnesota does not provide separate sections for sale by authorized dealers. However, if this is a dealership sale, there is a line next to “Seller Address” which can be used to record the dealer license number. If this is not a sale by a dealership and instead a private sale or transfer, simply leave this line blank.
  • Minnesota does not provide lines for lienholders- instead, this information is printed at the top of the form. If there is no lienholder, the form will say “No security interest” at the top.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Minnesota nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance?

A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity?

A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification?

A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process?

A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at donorsupport@careasy.org or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release or general DMV questions, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division.

For additional support, please email us and include your Stock # and contact information.
Title Support