Montana DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Montana Title Support

How To Sign A Montana Title

For any questions about how to sign a title for your specific donated vehicle, please contact the purchasing vendor which is usually the auto auction yard. Please note, the purchaser of your donated vehicle is not the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.

1. On the front page, the vehicle information, including year, make, model, VIN, etc should be printed. The owner(s) name and address(es) should also be recorded here. A notary is needed to complete this title.

2. On front of title under "Seller Completes In Ink," print name of buyer, date of transfer, and buyer's address.

3. In this section, odometer reading must be recorded and certified by ticking a checkbox if it is accurate or not. Below this, both the seller and notary must sign.

4. Below this, the owners must sign and print their names. If there are multiple owners, they must all sign.

5. In the bottom two sections, the notary must complete a portion, including stamping the document with their official seal. Finally, the buyer must sign at the bottom to acknowledge the mileage disclosure.

Helpful Tips

  • The state of Montana requires that the title be signed in front of a notary, so do not attempt to sign anything until you have made an appointment and are before an authorized public notary.
  • Montana’s title provides labeled steps which should be followed in order. Doing so will ensure the title is filled out completely and correctly.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Montana nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance?

A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity?

A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification?

A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process?

A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release or general DMV questions, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division.

For additional support, please email us and include your Stock # and contact information.
Title Support