South Dakota DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

South Dakota Title Support

How To Sign A South Dakota Title

For any questions about how to sign a title for your specific donated vehicle, please contact the purchasing vendor which is usually the auto auction yard. Please note, the purchaser of your donated vehicle is not the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.

1. On front of title near the bottom, there is space for lienholder information. South Dakota provides spaces for two lienholders. If there are none, leave this section blank and proceed to the back of title.

2. On back of title in section C accurately fill out the vehicle mileage information in the section titled “Odometer Reading.” If applicable, check the boxes below the line to indicate if the vehicle’s mileage has exceeded the mechanical limits, or if there is an odometer discrepancy.

3. On back of title at the top, there are checkboxes that should be read carefully. Mark only what is appropriate. For most situations, the “Transfer” box to the left should be checked.

4. On back of title, under "owner" in section E the buyer and seller’s names and addresses should be printed. The space below this section is for lienholders and should be left blank if not applicable.

5. On back of title under "owner" in the section C that is marked “Disclosure,” the vehicle’s mileage must be recorded and certified if it is not accurate. To the right of this, there is a section labeled “Damage” which should only be completed if the vehicle is less than 7 years old.

6. On back of title under "owner" there are two sections, section A & B. The buyer needs to fill in section A, the seller needs to fill in section B. The vehicle’s date of sale and sale price should be recorded here. The buyer and seller must sign and print their names to complete the document.

Helpful Tips

  • South Dakota has one of the most complex-looking titles. Be extra cautious to ensure the correct section and line is being filled out.
  • Although the title is one of the most complicated state titles, the fee to obtain a new copy is also one of the cheapest at just $10. If a mistake is made, request a new copy from the local DMV.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic South Dakota nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance?

A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity?

A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification?

A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process?

A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release or general DMV questions, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division.

For additional support, please email us and include your Stock # and contact information.
Title Support