Tennessee DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Tennessee Title Support

How To Sign A Tennessee Title

For any questions about how to sign a title for your specific donated vehicle, please contact the purchasing vendor which is usually the auto auction yard. Please note, the purchaser of your donated vehicle is not the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.

1. On the front of the title, at the top, there is space for vehicle information to be printed, including make, model, year and more. The lower section of the front page is reserved for lienholders. If there are any lienholders on the sale, their name(s), lien release signatures and the date should be printed.

2. On the back of the title, there is a section labeled “Assignment of Title by Registered Owner.” This is the only section that should be filled out for a private sale or transfer.

3. The odometer reading must first be recorded, along with a certification via checkboxes if the mileage is inaccurate due to a discrepancy or exceeding the mechanical limits.

4. Below the odometer information, the seller must print their name and address and sign the document.

5. The date of sale and sale price should be recorded.

6. The buyer must print and sign their name, signifying they are aware of the mileage as reported by the seller.

Helpful Tips

  • The sections below “Assignment of Title by Registered Owner” are reserved for authorized dealers only, and should be left blank in a private sale or transfer.
  • Tennessee requires a lien release letter if there are any liens on the sale.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Tennessee nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance?

A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity?

A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification?

A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process?

A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at donorsupport@careasy.org or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release or general DMV questions, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division.

For additional support, please email us and include your Stock # and contact information.
Title Support