Vermont DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Vermont Title Support

How To Sign A Vermont Title

For any questions about how to sign a title for your specific donated vehicle, please contact the purchasing vendor which is usually the auto auction yard. Please note, the purchaser of your donated vehicle is not the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.

1. At the top of the front page, there are boxes for various vehicle information. This information should be printed clearly. Below this, the name(s) and address(es) of the vehicle’s current owners should be printed.

2. The first lienholder’s name and address should appear below the owner’s information, if applicable. The bottom section of the front page contains boxes for lien releases by the first and second lien. If there are no liens on the sale, this section should be left blank.

3. On the back of the title, the top section labeled “(1) Assignment of Ownership” is the primary section that will need to be completed. At the very top of the section, the buyer’s name, address, and date of sale should be recorded.

4. In the subsection marked “Odometer Disclosure Statement,” the vehicle’s mileage should be recorded. There are checkboxes that can be marked to indicate if the mileage is inaccurate.

5. Below the odometer disclosure, the seller(s) should sign and print their name(s) and include the date of signature.

6. At the very bottom of section (1), the buyer must sign the document.

Helpful Tips

  • Vermont provides two spaces for seller information. If there are multiple sellers, all must be listed on the document.
  • Sections (2) and (3) are reserved for only licensed dealers and should be left blank for private sale or transfer.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Vermont nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance?

A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity?

A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification?

A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process?

A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release or general DMV questions, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division.

For additional support, please email us and include your Stock # and contact information.
Title Support