West Virginia DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

West Virginia Title Support

How To Sign A West Virginia Title

For any questions about how to sign a title for your specific donated vehicle, please contact the purchasing vendor which is usually the auto auction yard. Please note, the purchaser of your donated vehicle is not the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.

1. On the front of the title, there are a few lines where vehicle information should be recorded. This includes make/body, year, model and more.

2. Below the vehicle information, there is space for lien release by up to two liens. If this is not applicable, skip this section and proceed to the back page.

3. On back of title at the top, in section 1 under “Assignment of Certificate of Title,” this is the section that needs to be completed. The very first boxes in this section are for the vehicle’s sale price to be recorded.

4. Below the sale price, the buyer should print their name and address.

5. To the lower left of the buyer’s printed name, the odometer reading should be disclosed. There are two checkboxes which should be marked only if the condition applies, otherwise leave blank.

6. At the bottom of this section, both the buyer and seller must print and sign their name. The vehicle’s date of sale and sale price should also be recorded once more here.

Helpful Tips

  • There are several additional sections on the back side of the document. Many of these are for licensed dealers only, so leave all sections but the first one blank for a private sale or transfer.
  • West Virginia requires that the title be filled out in only blue or black ink.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic West Virginia nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance?

A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity?

A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification?

A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process?

A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at donorsupport@careasy.org or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release or general DMV questions, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division.

For additional support, please email us and include your Stock # and contact information.
Title Support