Wisconsin DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Wisconsin Title Support

How To Sign A Wisconsin Title

For any questions about how to sign a title for your specific donated vehicle, please contact the purchasing vendor which is usually the auto auction yard. Please note, the purchaser of your donated vehicle is not the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.

1. On the front page of the title, the top section contains boxes for pertinent vehicle information, including make, model, year, VIN, etc. Just below this, the registered owner’s information should appear, including their name and address.

2. If there are any liens already on the title, their information will be recorded on the front of the title. If not, this section will be blank.

3. On the back of the title, in Section 1, the current odometer reading should be recorded. There are two checkboxes to the right of the mileage which should be marked if the odometer reading is inaccurate due to a discrepancy or due to the vehicle exceeding its mechanical limitations.

4. In the section labeled “Brands Disclosure” in Section 1, there are multiple checkboxes to signify if the vehicle is a salvage vehicle, flood damaged, hail damaged, etc.

5. The buyer and seller’s names and addresses must be printed below the Brands Disclosure in Section 1.

6. Both the buyer (purchaser) and seller must sign and date the document.

Helpful Tips

  • Sections 2 and 3 are reserved for only licensed dealers and should be left blank for private sale or transfer.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Wisconsin nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance?

A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity?

A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification?

A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process?

A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at donorsupport@careasy.org or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release or general DMV questions, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division.

For additional support, please email us and include your Stock # and contact information.
Title Support