Alabama DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Alabama Vehicle Transfer Notification Support Page

Registration and Plate Cancellation is Required After the Date of the Pick-up of Your Vehicle Donation to Release Liability

For vehicle donations* titled in the state of Alabama, state notification is required through registration and plate cancellation. Liability is released when you surrender or transfer the license plates. *For unique or specialty items like a boat or RV, please visit Alabama's Motor Vehicles's website for more details.


Please remove the license plates of your donated vehicle before the pick-up. Plates must be transferred to another vehicle or surrendered to the state. If the donor desires to transfer the plates to another vehicle, please contact the License Plate Issuing Offices.

For access to the License Plate Issuing Offices in Alabama, click here.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Alabama nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance? A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considered the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity? A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification? A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process? A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release notification, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division:

Alabama Department of Revenue
50 North Ripley Street
Montgomery, AL 36104

Motor Vehicle Division
2545 Taylor Road
Montgomery, AL 36117

Phone: 334-242-9000
Motor Vehicle Website