HOW TO HANDLE THE LICENSE PLATES WHEN YOU DONATE A CAR, TRUCK, SUV OR OTHER STANDARD VEHICLE IN ALASKA
License plates MUST STAY WITH THE VEHICLE (unless a vanity/personal plate). Do not remove.
Please See the Steps Below for How to Complete the Notice of Vehicle Sale:
There are three ways in Alaska to notify the DMV that you have donated your car: Complete the Notice of Vehicle Sale for Transfer that is attached to the bottom of the original title and send or deliver to the DMV, record the sale online, or send an email message. You can find more information for each notification method below:
1. TO COMPLETE A NOTICE OF VEHICLE SALE THAT'S ATTACHED TO THE ORIGINAL TITLE:
- Prior to the pick-up of your vehicle donation, please remove and complete the Notice of Sale for Transfer that is typically attached to the bottom of the original title.
- After the pick-up of your vehicle donation, mail or bring the completed Notice of Sale for Transfer to your local DMV.
- Click HERE to locate your local field office.
2. TO COMPLETE A NOTICE OF VEHICLE SALE ONLINE:
*PREFERRED METHOD* If possible, we highly recommend Reporting the Sale online, so you may easily save and print out a copy for your records that includes a date/timestamp and ensures that it has been received by the DMV.
Click the button below and follow the steps to Report the Sale of a Vehicle.CLICK HERE
3. TO COMPLETE A NOTICE OF VEHICLE SALE VIA EMAIL
- You may send an email message to the DMV letting them know about your recent vehicle donation.
- Click HERE for email assistance.