Typically, when there are no specific requirements listed, this means transfer of ownership occurs with the transfer of the title. We recommend keeping a copy of the transferred title for your personal records.
HOW TO HANDLE THE LICENSE PLATES WHEN YOU DONATE A CAR, TRUCK, SUV OR OTHER STANDARD VEHICLE IN MAINE
Please remove the license plates of your donated vehicle before the pick-up. License plates may stay with owner and get transferred to another vehicle.
**However, if not transferred, they must be returned to the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles).
***A Plate Cancellation Form must be completed if you decide to surrender them to the BMV. Please see the steps below for how to complete the Plate Cancellation Request Form.
HOW TO COMPLETE THE VEHICLE LICENSE PLATE CANCELLATION FORM IN PERSON AND BY MAIL:
- Please click the blue "Access Form" button below to access the Plate Cancellation Request Form.
- Complete and print the Plate Cancellation Request Form.
- Please note the notorization will be required. Also, be sure to attach a copy of your current registration (if available to you).
- Bring to a local BMV Branch. Take the form to a BMV branch office. Click here to locate your local BMV Branch
- You can also mail the completed and notorized form (and attached registration) to the address below.
- ATTN: Registrations.
State of Maine
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
29 House Station
Augusta, ME 04330-0029
Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Maine nonprofit to donate to.