HOW TO HANDLE THE LICENSE PLATES WHEN YOU DONATE A CAR, TRUCK, SUV OR OTHER STANDARD VEHICLE IN MASSACHUSETTS
Please remove the license plates of your donated vehicle before the pick-up. Then cancel the Registration/Plates. Please be sure to keep a copy of the Registration Cancellation Receipt for your records and provide a photocopy to your insurance company. When your registration is canceled, the RMV will provide you with a registration cancellation receipt.
***Remember to only cancel your insurance AFTER you've cancelled your registration.
Once your registration is canceled, you must destroy or recyle your license plates. If your town accepts recycled plates, you can take the plates to your local recycling center. When destroyed, plates can be cut in half and discarded.
Please See the Steps Below for How to Cancel Your Registration
There are two ways in Massachusetts to notify the Commonwealth of Massachusetts RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles) that you have donated your car: online or in person. Currently, You can find more information and forms for each notification method below:
1. TO CANCEL YOUR REGISTRATION ONLINE:
- Click the blue button below to go to Mass.gov to complete your registration cancellation online.
- Complete the online form. You will need your license plate number, email address and either your Driver's License/permit/ID number, SSN, or FID number.
- Once the cancellation is complete, you can download a Registration Cancellation Receipt.
- ****Please note, you may only cancel your registration online with a single owner. If there is more than one owner, you must cancel your registration in person at your local RMV. If there is more than one owner, you can download the the Affidavit for Cancellation of Registration. This must be completed and signed by both owners. See steps below for how to cancel your registration in person. For more information, click here.
2. TO CANCEL YOUR REGISTRATION IN PERSON:
- Please click the Access Form button below to download the Affidavit for Cancellation of Registration
- Print and complete the Affidavit. **The form must be signed by all owners.
- Bring the completed form to your local full-service RMV location. Click HERE find a full-service RMV location.
- Once the registration is cancelled, please recycle or destroy the plates. Download Affidavit for Cancellation of Registration
Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Massachusetts nonprofit to donate to.