Massachusetts DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Title Transfer


After donating a vehicle, donors need to notify the state they have donated their vehicle by cancellling their registration online or in person.


Please remove the plates from your vehicle. Then cancel the Registration/Plates online or by surrendering the plates in person.

If you cancel your Registration/Plates online (see the link below), the license plates do not have to be returned to the RMV. License plates do not have to be returned to the RMV when registration is cancelled. Keep a receipt to provide to your insurance company when cancelling the vehicle's insurance.

Once your registration is cancelled, you must recycle or destroy your license plates. Plates can be cut in half and discarded; or you can recycle destroyed plates if your town accepts them at the local recycling center.

Click HERE to for more information on plate cancellation.


The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.
For more information on vehicle, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division:

Registry of Motor Vehicles
Department of Transportation
10 Park Plaza, Suite 4160
Boston, MA 02116

For all departments: 857.368.4636
Toll Free: 877.623.6846
TTY: 857.368.0655
Fax: 857.368.0601
Ask the RMV RMV Website