"Under Michigan law, a seller is not liable for any damages or a violation of law that subsequently results from the use of ownership of the vehicle by the purchaser if the owner maintains proof of sale." CARS has access to sale documents.
HOW TO HANDLE THE LICENSE PLATES WHEN YOU DONATE A CAR, TRUCK, SUV OR OTHER STANDARD VEHICLE IN MICHIGAN
Please remove the license plates of your donated vehicle before the pick-up. The donor should keep the license plate that was on the vehicle donated. The owner may transfer that plate to another vehicle.
Please See the Steps Below for How to Maintain Proof or a Record of Sale That You Are No Longer in Posession of Your Vehicle
There is one way in Michigan to maintain a record with the Michigan Department of State that you have donated your car. You can find more information and forms for each notification method below:
1. TO MAINTAIN A RECORD OR PROOF OF SALE:
- To maintain proof or a "record of the sale" as described on Michigan's Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson - Michigan.gov, see the two options below:
- Option 1 - Photocopy of the Reassigned Title
- Option 2- A form or document that includes the vehicle's year, make, and Vehicle Identification Number, as well as the name, address, driver's license number and signature of the person to whom the vehicle is sold along with its purchase price and date of sale. For donated vehicles, please see the FAQs below for what information to include.
- It is advised that you maintain a record of the sale for not less than 18 months.
Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Michigan nonprofit to donate to.