HOW TO HANDLE THE LICENSE PLATES WHEN YOU DONATE A CAR, TRUCK, SUV OR OTHER STANDARD VEHICLE IN MINNESOTA
Please leave the license plates on the vehicle after it is sold. Only special car registration tags or personalized plates can be transferred to a new vehicle.
Please See the Steps Below for How to Complete a Transfer of Ownership
There are three ways in Minnesota to notify the DVS (Driver and Vehicle Services) that you have donated your car: online in person, or by mail. You can find more information and forms for each notification method below:
1. TO COMPLETE THE TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP - REPORT OF SALE FORM ONLINE:
*PREFERRED METHOD* If possible, we highly recommend completing forms online instead of by mail, so you may easily save and print out a copy for your records that includes a date/timestamp.
- Click the blue button below to access dps.mn.gov/dvs/online-self-services.
2. TO COMPLETE THE TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP - REPORT OF SALE FORM IN PERSON:
- You may transfer the ownership of a motor vehicle at any of the nearly 200 Deputy Registar Offices located throughout the state.
- Click HERE to find your field office or call 651.297.2005
3. TO COMPLETE THE TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP - REPORT OF SALE FORM BY MAIL:
- When Minnesota or another state has issued a certificate of title on a vehicle, the transfer of ownership must be recorded on the certificate of title and the title submitted with transfer fees by mail to DVS. For more information, click here.
- Mail to:
Driver and Vehicle Services - Central Office
Town Square Building
445 Minnesota Street, Suite 187
Saint Paul, MN 55101-5187
Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Minnesota nonprofit to donate to.