Montana DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Montana Transfer Notification Support Page

At this time, CARS is unaware of any requirements for the donor to complete after the pick-up date of the vehicle donation to release liability

Typically, when there are no specific requirements listed, this means transfer of ownership occurs with the transfer of the title. We recommend keeping a copy of the transferred title for your personal records. It's important to keep a written record of the vehicle transfer with a photocopy of the reassigned title for your records.

NOTORIZATION is required of the title for transfer.
*Please wait until the vehicle pick-up has been arranged before completing and/or notarizing the title.*


Please remove the license plates of your donated vehicle before the pick-up and the formal transfer of ownership is complete.

**When you’ve sold the vehicle, you can ignore its annual registration renewal notice that might still come in the mail. You do not need to notify the County Treasurer’s motor vehicle office that you sold the vehicle. You can ask to transfer your plates to another vehicle your own; contact your local County Treasurer Motor Vehicle Office for more information. Click HERE to locate your County Treasurer Motor Vehicle Office.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Montana nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance? A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity? A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification? A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process? A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle transfers, please contact your local Motor Vehicle Division:

Motor Vehicle Division (MVD
P.O. Box 201430, 302 N Roberts,
Helena, MT 59620-1430
Phone: 406.444.3933