New Jersey DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

New Jersey Transfer Notification Support Page

It Is Required for the donor to give the license plates to their local Motor Vehicle Commission Agency After the Pick-up Date of the Vehicle Donation to Release Liability

The transfer of ownership occurs with the transfer of the title and by surrendering the plates. We recommend keeping a copy of the transferred title for your personal records.


Please remove the license plates of your donated vehicle before the pick-up. License plates must be given to a local Motor Vehicle Commission; registration ticket must also be removed from the window. Please remove the plates and surrender them to a motor vehicle agency or full agency—unless the plates are being transferred to another vehicle (plates can be transferred to another vehicle, but not to another owner).

If you need to transfer vehicle ownership, you may do so only at a motor vehicle agency; this type of transaction cannot be handled through the mail. Click HERE to locate your local agency.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic New Jersey nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance? A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity? A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification? A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process? A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle transfers, please contact your local Motor Vehicle Division:

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commisssion
P.O. Box 160
Trenton, NJ 08666-0403

Phone: 609.292.6500