Transfer of ownership occurs when you complete the reverse-side of the title. We recommend keeping a copy of the transferred title for your personal records. If you do not plan on transferring the plates to another vehicle and your tags do not expire soon, you may complete a 'Customer Request to Cancel Vehicle Registration' to notify the BMV that you are no longer liable for the vehicle.
NOTORIZATION is required of the title for transfer.
*Please wait until the vehicle pick-up has been arranged before completing and/or notarizing the title.*
HOW TO HANDLE THE LICENSE PLATES WHEN YOU DONATE A CAR, TRUCK, SUV OR OTHER STANDARD VEHICLE IN OHIO
Please remove the license plates of your donated vehicle before the pick-up. License Plates stay with owner and may be retained, destroyed, or transferred to another vehicle. When transferring your license plates, please complete Form BMV4809 and submit with a $4.50 fee.Access Form
Please See the Steps Below for How to Complete the Complete the Customer Request to Cancel Vehicle Registration
There is two ways in Ohio to notify the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) that you have donated your car: in person and by mail. Currently, there is no option available online. You can find more information and forms for each notification method below:
1. TO COMPLETE THE CUSTOMER REQUEST TO CANCEL VEHICLE REGISTRATION FORM IN PERSON:
- Please print and complete the Customer Request to Cancel Vehicle Registration Form.
- Submit to your local BMV field office. Click HERE to find the BMV location closest to you.
2. TO COMPLETE THE CUSTOMER REQUEST TO CANCEL VEHICLE REGISTRATION FORM BY MAIL:
- Please print and complete the Customer Request to Cancel Vehicle Registration.
- Mail completed form to:
Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Vehicle Information Services
P.O. Box 16521
Columbus, OH 43216-6521
Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Ohio nonprofit to donate to.