HOW TO HANDLE THE LICENSE PLATES WHEN YOU DONATE A CAR, TRUCK, SUV OR OTHER STANDARD VEHICLE IN RHODE ISLAND
Please remove the license plates of your donated vehicle before the pick-up. The DMV requires you to surrender your license plates upon cancellation. You may cancel your plates at any DMV branch location or by mail.
Please See the Steps Below for How to Cancel Your Registration/Plates:
There are three ways in Rhoide Island to notify the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) that you have donated your car: online, in person or by mail. You can find more information and forms for each notification method below:
1. TO CANCEL YOUR REGISTRATION/PLATES ONLINE:
*PREFERRED METHOD* If possible, we highly recommend completing forms online instead of by mail, so you may easily save and print out a copy for your records that includes a date/timestamp.
- Please click button below to access the online form.
- Fill out the fields.
- Complete, submit, and sign the form.
- Important: Print and keep the confirmation page as your receipt.
2. TO CANCEL YOUR REGISTRATION/PLATES IN PERSON:
- Please bring your plates to any DMV branch location.
- Click HERE to find your local DMV branch.
3. TO CANCEL YOUR REGISTRATION/PLATES BY MAIL:
Please send the donated vehicle's cancelled license plates, a photocopy of the registration, a copy of the registerd owner's driver's license, or other document verifying the owner to the DMV Cranston Headquarters:
Division of Motor Vehicles Attn: Plates
600 New Londong Ave
Cranston, RI 02920
*If license plates were left on the vehicle at the time of pick-up, donor can provide that explanation on the form in order to cancel insurance.
Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Rhode Island nonprofit to donate to.