HOW TO HANDLE THE LICENSE PLATES WHEN YOU DONATE A CAR, TRUCK, SUV OR OTHER STANDARD VEHICLE IN SOUTH DAKOTA
Please remove the license plates of your donated vehicle before the pick-up. South Dakota is a plate with owner state. This means that the license plates are retained by the owner. If you wish to transfer your plates to another vehicle, you may do so at your local County Treasurer's Office.
Please See the Steps Below for How to Complete the Seller's Report of Sale Form
There are three ways in South Dakota to notify the MVD (Motor Vehicle Division) that you have donated your car: online, in person or by mail. You can find more information and forms for each notification method below:
1. TO COMPLETE THE SELLER'S REPORT OF SALE ONLINE:
*PREFERRED METHOD* If possible, we highly recommend completing forms online instead of by mail, so you may easily save and print out a copy for your records that includes a date/timestamp.
- Click the blue button below to complete the Seller's Report of Sale Form online at sddor.seamlessdocs.com.
- Complete the form and click submit/sign.
- **Please note: For the "Purchaser's SSN", please write "Donated".
2. TO COMPLETE THE SELLER'S REPORT OF SALE IN PERSON:
3. TO COMPLETE THE SELLER'S REPORT OF SALE BY MAIL:
- Please complete and print the Seller's Report of Sale Form.
- Mail to:
South Dakota Department of Revenue
Division of Motor Vehicles
445 East Capitol Ave
Pierre, SD 57501
Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic South Dakota nonprofit to donate to.