Hawaii DMV Vehicle Transfer | Vehicle Donations

Hawaii Title Support

How To Sign A Hawaii Title

For any questions about how to sign a title for your specific donated vehicle, please contact the purchasing vendor which is usually the auto auction yard. Please note, the purchaser of your donated vehicle is not the charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services.

1. Secure an appointment with a public notary. Hawaii requires that the title be notarized, so schedule an appointment and bring along the necessary documents to complete your title in the notary’s office.

2. On front of title in section A, labeled “Assignment of Title by Seller,” note the current odometer reading indicating the accurate mileage of the vehicle at the time of sale or transfer. There are also two checkboxes that may be ticked to indicate an inaccurate mileage, or if the mileage exceeds the mechanical limitations of the vehicle.

3. On front of title underneath the mileage information, there are two lines for the seller’s printed name, signature and date of transfer. The secondary line should be filled out only if the vehicle is jointly owned.

4. The section beneath the seller signatures is reserved for a certified notary, and should be left blank by the seller and buyer.

5. On the back of title, there is a space for the buyer’s information and signature. Once the front of the form is complete, the buyer or buyers should fill out their section.

6. If there are any lienholders listed on front of title see if section B includes their info & signatures on the back of title otherwise lienholder info & signature goes under section E.

Helpful Tips

  • Hawaii will not recognize a title that isn’t completed before a notary, so do not attempt to sign a title without a notary present.
  • When recording the odometer reading, Hawaii requires that any tenths of a mile be left off.

Haven't donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Hawaii nonprofit to donate to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do I cancel my insurance?

A. Only cancel your vehicle's insurance AFTER your vehicle has been picked up and you have notified the state that you’ve donated your vehicle. If your state requires notification, please be aware that you should never cancel your insurance prior to reporting to the state you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. This is a general rule for States/Motor Vehicle Departments that require Notification be submitted or license plates returned.

Q: Who is considerd the purchaser of my vehicle donation? Is it the nonprofit or charity?

A. The purchaser of your donated vehicle is NOT the nonprofit or charity. It will either be the vendor or Charitable Adult Rides & Services, the vehicle donation program provider and partner of your nonprofit of choice.

Q. What is State Notification?

A. State notification releases the vehicle donor from liability over the vehicle, including registration fees and from having to keep the vehicle insured, after the vehicle is picked up. State notification is a way for the state to create a record that the owner is no longer in possession of the vehicle. The steps needed to release your liability of a donated vehicle vary by state.

Q. Who is supposed to take care of the state notification process?

A. If state notification is required, only the donor and/or owner of the vehicle can complete this process. Please do not rely on the pick-up driver or vendor to report to the State/Motor Vehicle Department that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. If you need support, please contact the vehicle donation support team at donorsupport@careasy.org or call 855-500-7433. We would be happy to assist you.

If you have additional questions, please visit our vehicle donation FAQS.

If you would like assistance with your vehicle donation, please contact us here.

For more information on vehicle release or general DMV questions, contact your local Motor Vehicle Division.

For additional support, please email us and include your Stock # and contact information.
Title Support